Tuesday, January 29, 2013

On Flagler Pond

Want to hear something terrible? I’m old. I’m 20 years in age but I’m really honestly a grandma. Parts of me creak when I’m walking around, for every minute I sit I it takes me another minute to find the strength to get up. I have literally began to use the word “crotchety” to describe myself. The reason for this has to be because I’m an athlete, we are consistently working our bodies twice as much as a non-athlete. We run, jump, lift, throw, ect. for 4 hours a day, up to 7 days a week. Our bodies are aging twice as quickly as everyone else. Okay, well maybe not aging but disintegrating... 
This should be some insight into exactly why the majority of Kenan Hall elevator users are athletes. If I’m in practice uniform or really anything that says “Flagler Softball” people look at me like I’m a complete outsider, like I don’t belong on the elevator. For a while, embarrassment got the best of me, everyone’s judging eyes had me taking the stairs, even after a 6am lift.. But after a season ending injury to my ankle Freshman year, I was put on crutches for the next 4 months. Needless to say, the elevator and I became the best of friends. After I was healed and finally away from those God forsaken crutches I still felt it was wrong to deny myself the luxury that is the Kenan elevator. So simply put, I don't. 
I can still remember the day where I was lazy enough and somehow brave enough to take the elevator to the second floor in Kenan. I can still hear the literal “boo!” coming from the other 4th floor people who had to wait for me to leave. This remains one of the proudest and most embarrassing moments in my life all to avoid the creaking sound my body makes walking up stairs. 
Would you ask your 80 year old gramdma to walk up 4 flights of the steepest stairs known to man? I didn’t think so. So don’t ask me.  




(Note: Just in case you didn't get it. The title of this post "On Flagler Pond", is a play on the title "On Golden Pond"... a movie about old people.)

No comments:

Post a Comment