Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Field Work.

Two words that make me want to curl up in a hole and hide until I know it's done. I've never had more appreciation for landscapers till I got to college (a sentence I never imagined myself saying). Maybe I was a spoiled brat before I came to Flagler, maybe I had great field workers in high school. I don't know. What I do know is that I would rather be a spoiled brat than have to do field duties anymore. 
Alright, I guess I should explain exactly what that means. "Field Work" is any maintenance the field needs. For example, raking the uneven parts of the field, tamping the batters box and pitcher mound, putting up wind screens along the entire outfield fence and both foul line fences. It might not sound that bad but it grates on my last nerve. 
As a pitcher I'm in charge of raking, watering and tamping the pitching mounds. Not that bad, right? Except I have to do the three mounds in the home side bullpen, the mound on the actual field and the one across the field behind right field that is the away bullpen. Which means I have to carry the 50 pound tamp, the rake and a watering can filled to the brim with water all over the damn field. Then make sure the mounds (which are usually in god awful condition, no thanks to me) are game ready and able to be pitched off of. 
Never before in my life have I wanted to pay someone my own money to do something I could do myself. But on a grueling Florida afternoon after a double header, the LAST thing I want to is move dirt around with a rake, water it and pound it back into the ground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment